Thursday, November 15, 2012

November 15

Here in Michigan when you say mention November 15, many people will get a rapid pulse and their eyes will glaze over. It's a date they look forward to all year long.  It's more exciting than Christmas or their own birthday.

It it: Opening Day of Deer Hunting Season.

By sheer estimates, Michigan has approximately 1.8 million whitetail deer roaming the woods and fields. In the northern counties, they forage mostly on leaves, berries and trees.  Here, where I live, they feast on corn, beans and various planting in home gardens.

Car-Deer accidents numbers in 2011 totaled nearly 56,000 with 11 deaths for those accidents.

I, personally, am not a hunter. But when I see hundreds of them grazing in the fields of crops on a warm summer's day I know someone has to thin the herd.

So today, I wish all you crazy deer hunter a safe and bountiful hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment