Friday, December 14, 2012

Do you hear what I hear?

When you're having a conversation with someone, are you good at listening?

It seems more and more that people are in such a hurry to share their viewpoint or answer a question that they never really hear what is being said.

Then there are those people, most often when there's a group, who have to talk all the time.  They will change the subject of a conversation, speak more loudly and just keep the spotlight on themselves.

On my job as a Customer Service Manager, I'm often on the phone with people who do not what to hear what I have to say.  They really just want me to listen to what they have to say.

And that is the easiest part of my job! They will start out with a angry tone in their voice as soon as I pick up the call.  I often tell them that I'm reviewing the notes from our support staff, but please, tell me what is going on.

They're happy to have someone -- a manager -- listen to what they have to say.

I just sit there, making some notes and injecting an "uh huh," "right," okay," or "yes, I understand," into the conversation.

Once I've listened to what they have to say, all I need to do is acknowledge their concerns and I become the king of listeners.

How easy is that?  JUST LISTEN!

Sometimes a friend may need a shoulder to cry on.  They don't want to be told what you would do. They just need someone to listen.  Sometimes talking through an issue brings the solution to light for the talker.

So next time someone is speaking to you, or in a group, just listen!

You might just learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment