Monday, January 30, 2012

Weird World Records

If you're a regular user of Google search, you have most likely seen a few "Google Doodles."  Those are the fun little headers honoring various anniversaries or events.

Saturday's Doodle honored the 125th anniversary of the World's Largest Snowflake.

Really?

My first thought was, "How do they know that?" My next thought was, "Is someone still tracking this oh-so-important bit of information for a record-breaker?"

Then I really got thinking, which was a good thing at 5:30 am on a Saturday morning... "What else do people record that really doesn't need to be recorded?"

Since I was already on the Google site, I searched to find the Weirdest World Records.  I think there was a world record of replies for web searches.

And since you're still reading, I'll share a few of what I found to be the weirdest, along with my comments.

Largest Airplane Ever Eaten. Michel Lotito, better known as Monsieur Mangetout (Mr. Eat Everything) is basically a normal guy, except he eats things like metal and glass. Have others really attempted this one? Doctors found his stomach lining is twice as thick as normal stomach lining.

World’s Fastest Strip Down. A man in Japan who can take off all of his clothes in just seven and a half seconds! Wanna see the video? It's G-rated and looks to be from "Japan's Got Talent." Video

World’s Largest Maze. Farmer Tom Pearcy created a tribute of the 40th anniversary of Star Trek. It covers 32 acres. This is actually pretty cool, but I don't think it's the latest record-holder. It seems like everyone who builds a maze makes "The World's Largest Maze." 


World’s Longest Eyebrow. Leonard Traenkenschuh of Port Townsend, Washington, has a three and a half inches eyebrow hair (and still growing!). I once saw a guy with the BUSHIEST eyebrows -- they had to be a world's record.  He was at a funeral I attended (no, he wasn't the deceased). I could barely contain myself.

Most Rattlesnakes in Mouth. Jackie "The Texas Snake Man" Bibby is THE Snakeman. His world records include most live rattlesnakes held in the mouth (8), sat with in a bathtub (81), and shared a sleeping bag with (109).

Okay, this is where I draw the line on world records.

Guinness World's Records has published millions of copies of their books over the years.  People simply love setting records.

Ever wonder why people set weird world records?  I suspect it has to do with all the Guinness Draught (beer) they're drinking when they're trying to set these records!

No comments:

Post a Comment