Monday, February 13, 2012

BULL****!

Did you read the heading of this blog post? It says "Bull****."  I suspect you understand that I'm masking a curse word from total view.

Mentally when you see it, you know what word I'm referencing, but the impact isn't quite as harsh.

Now I'm far from a prude... and I've been know to use a few choice words now and then.  I also have some standards when it comes to the printed word.

Imagine my surprise when I pick up a newspaper (that I never pick up) and read a story beneath a headline that catches my eye. The story was about a recent court case and sentencing of the defendant.

Apparently the family wasn't happy with the sentence as one of the exclaimed [quote]: "We’ll appeal. Bullshit,” a family member exclaimed bitterly as he left the courtroom. [end quote]

Really?  You had to print that word in the newspaper.  Did it add that much to the overall story?

I decided to ask the writer/editor that very question.  Here's the exchange:

Dear Ms. Jerome,

Was it really necessary to print the word "bullshit" in the Krohn avoids jail time story on the FRONT PAGE of The View?
  Did it add to the quote?  Would you have printed the "F" word if he had said, "This F***ing stinks"?  Finally, may I ask where you got your journalism education?  I know my journalism professor is rolling in his grave. Please review the standards of your publication in the future.

Thank you.


Bill Esch

Pigeon, MI
 It took her a few days to get back with me, but here is her reply:

Dear Mr. Esch:

I'm sorry that you feel the choice to use that phrase was inappropriate. Before the article was published, I discussed the use of the word with my publisher. We both felt it contributed to the story because it expressed the frustration and anger felt by the Halek family. I knew I risked offending some people, but my job is to report what happens in the real world. That's what my journalism professors taught me to do. Ideally, people wouldn't disrespect the court by swearing at the judge, but it happened and I felt it should be reported.

Sincerely,

Kelly Taylor-Jerome
News/Sports Editor
Huron County VIEW
I commend her desire to defend her decision.  I would do the same thing. It's not a good idea to admit your lapse in judgement when you're a journalist.  Better change course on a go forward basis.

Now I have a question: Where the standards of good journalism gone?

My guess is that the world of sensationalism and tabloid-rag writing (eg: National Enquirer) are the norm.  We don't want the news, we want to be entertained and read the dirt.

And it all makes me very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment