Friday, February 24, 2012

It's So Trivial

I think you would agree that people can learn a lot just by listening.  You may not learn anything overly important or even really worth knowing, but you've gained knowledge.

In the evenings after dinner, especially during the winter months when it's often cold and certainly dark outside, I find myself near the TV tuned to Jeopardy. You the show where they give you the answer and you need to come up with the question.

Sometimes, while not really paying attention, I'll find myself turning to the TV and saying, "I didn't know that," about a clue and correct response.

All that silly information comes in handy from time to time. Like this past Christmas when my family played a board game called Logo. I loved it because the game is about a topic I (somehow seem to) know a lot about: useless details about product creation, marketing and advertising.

It's useless because having that knowledge hasn't advanced my life and may have cause my nieces and nephews to never play the game with me again.

It's fun to learn something that makes you go, "Hmmm.  Really?  I didn't know that."  Therefore, for your trivia bank, I'll share these 10 things I don't really need to know, but I know anyway:
  1. Only one McDonald’s in the world has turquoise arches. Officials in Sedona, Arizona, thought yellow would clash with the natural red rock.
  2. Joyce Hall, who made millions developing the Hallmark greeting card brand name, was a man.
  3. The Statue of Liberty is located on Liberty Island which was called Bedloe's Island before the statue arrived.
  4. The first nation to issue adhesive postage stamps was the United Kingdom.
  5. Denmark celebrates the U.S. Independence Day/Forth of July.
  6. Jimmy Carter was the first President to be born in a hospital.
  7.  USA PATRIOT Act is an acronym that stands for “Uniting & Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept & Obstruct Terrorism.”
  8. Of all the words in the English language, the word 'set' has the most definitions! (You'll have to trust me on this one, unless you plan counting the definitions of all the words in a dictionary.)
  9. Graffito is the singular for graffiti.
  10. Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to digest a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with.
There you have it:  Ten pieces of fairy useless information you probably never really needed to know, but now you do!

1 comment: