Tuesday, February 28, 2012

TUESDAY TALLY: 60s Television

I'm showing my age when I talk about growing up in a house with one black and white tv.  No remote controls, no recording devices. I don't remember the make, maybe an RCA, but I do remember it had three knobs: one for channel 2-13 (the VHF channels) and another for 14 up (the UHF channels), and the volume. That's all there was three channels, three knobs, black and white... and we were happy to have it.

Where I grew up, we had THREE channels: 5, 12 and 25; at that time they were the NBC, ABC and CBS affiliates. At some point channel 19 was added, broadcasting PBS programing from a Saginaw area college campus.

I was thinking about the old shows the other day and started making a list.  I even did a little research.  It was fun to check out the list and say, "oh yeah," "yup, I remember that one," "oh that was good."

Of course my list could be longer, but here's a list of shows I remember watching during the 60s:


Adam 12, Addams Family, Andy Griffith Show, Batman, The Beverly Hillbillies, Bewitched, The Big Valley, The Brady Bunch, Carol Burnett Show, Courtship Of Eddie's Father, Dick Van Dyke Show, F Troop, The F.B.I., Family Affair, The Flying Nun, Get Smart, Gomer Pyle USMC, Green Acres, Hazel, Hogan's Heroes, I Dream of Jeannie, Ironside, It Takes A Thief, The Jetsons, Julia, Land of the Giants, Love American Style, Mayberry R.F.D., The Mod Squad, The Monkees, The Munsters, My Three Sons, Petticoat Junction, Room 222, Rowan/Martin's Laugh-In, Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, Star Trek, That Girl, Wild Wild West.

Obviously these shows were not on for the entire 10 years of the 60s.  But I do remember watching these shows on a fairly regular basis. They were decent-quality shows worth watching!

Three channels on a black and white TV, and so many memories!

TV Trivia: Petticoat Junction, The Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres were 60s TV shows that were interrelated in location (Hooterville) and some characters (Sam Drucker).  Gomer Pyle was an occasion character on the Andy Griffith Show and on Gomer Pyle USMC.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment