I think my nephew Chad would say he's had a once in a lifetime experience.
Chad lives with his wife, daughter and son in Alpena. He owns a business there and is active in the community. His son plays hockey.
As luck would have it:
- The Detroit Red Wings Alumni Association was playing a benefit game in Alpena last night (Saturday, February 18, 2012).
- And Chad's Uncle Joe Maust is a Red Wings Fan.
- And Uncle Joe flies his own airplane.
- And for some reason, unknown to me, THE Stanley Cup was at the benefit game and needed to get to Philadelphia.
- And Joe was asked to fly it from Alpena to Philadelphia.
- And, since Joe had to fly into Alpena, he needed a ride to the benefit game, and he and the cup (and it's guardian) needed a ride back to the airport.
- And Chad, living in Alpena, and having large vehicles...
I guess these pictures are worth a thousands words!
|Chad in his office with the Stanley Cup on his desk.|
|The Esch family with the Stanley Cup.|
From left, Morgan, Chad, Mike the cup handler, Nicholas, Sharon.
|"Uncle Joe" Maust (left) with the cup and|
Mike, the cup's official handler.