Friday, February 3, 2012

Camping Journal, Episode 1

There's nothing like some warm spring-like days to get my mind thinking about summer camping!  It's one of my favor weekend getaways from May to September.

Early February may be a little early for the 50 degree days we've been enjoying, but it's not too early to be planning some camp outs.

I'm a tent camper, so I like I generally don't pitch a tent before mid- to late-May nor after the end of September.  Even with my catalytic propane tent heater, it can still get pretty dang cold when you're in a tent.

But then, I've been sitting next to my campfire during the July 4th holiday, while wearing jeans, a sweatshirt, another jacket and gloves!

Earlier this week I was checking out campground websites, noting opening weekends and how much they've increased their camping fees.  I love journeying into Canada or Ohio for a weekend.

Think year I hope to check out some sites along Michigan's Ausable River, west of Oscoda.  It's totally primitive camping (no amenities!) and is not a physical campground with sites in one location.  Instead, it's a series of 102 individual campsites located along a 55-mile stretch of the Ausable River.

Some of the sites, located within Alcona and Iosco Counties, are on the river's edge while others are 300 feet above the river.  I'll be opting for something on the river's edge.

While I have a few months to prepare, it won't be long before I'll need to dust off the gear, account for everything and head out for a weekend.

I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment