Sunday, April 15, 2012

When My life Changed Forever

Nine years ago today, Tuesday, April 15, 2003 at about 9:30 am, my life changed forever.

I was in Port Huron with my dad, my brother Denny and my buddy Ron.

That moment in time was when I was wheeled into the operating room and had gastric bypass surgery performed by Dr. Akbar Ali.

My weight lose was rapid -- about a pound a day for the first three month.  I was closing in on the 100 pound mark just before my forty-second birthday on July 17.

And then I hit a brick wall and plateaued. I hung around the 98-99 total pounds lost for over a long, frustrating week. Shortly after my birthday, the weight began pealing off yet again.  When I reached the one-year anniversary of my surgery, I had lost just over 150 lbs.

That first summer I was riding bike and moving more than I had in years.  I actually felt like doing something other than sleeping or sitting in a chair.

Today, nine-years later, I've packed on a few of those lost pounds and they're not coming off as easily as that first summer after surgery. Bariatric surgery isn't a cure, it's a tool. And I know how to use it when I put my mind to it.

So, like I did nine-years ago, I'll watch my food intake (quantity AND quality of food) long with moving more and I'll watch those pounds disappear yet again.

Me in the fall of 2002
Read all the BareNakedBill blog entries at: BareNakedBill.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment