Friday, October 26, 2012

Blah Blah Blah

It is said that "Talk is cheap."  But it's also pretty priceless.

Earlier this week, I spent just about two-and-a-half hours in the dentist chair. While I was laying in the chair, it occurred to me how the gift of gab comes in handy for so many professions.

As I waited for the doctor to come in, Chris, his dental assistant, got be situated and comfortable.

"Did you have a nice summer?" she asked as she went about arranging instruments on the tray.

Just a simple question I could answer would end the silence that could true awkward quickly.  She may have not even been interested in knowing if I enjoyed the last few months, but she asked anyway.

There's a trick to having an engaging conversation. Maybe it should be taught in high school or a course in college.

We get lost in conversation when it's interesting, but we get trapped in a conversation when it's not.

So many professions require conversation. Obviously psychiatrists and counselors as well as barbers and bartenders.

I'm lucky, I can talk to just about anyone about just about anything. It's a gift I'll treasure forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment