Saturday, October 27, 2012

Here's a Proposition

Why do I become more and more annoyed as election day grows closer?  It's an annual frustration at it's worst during a Presidential election year.

Aside from all the rhetoric from the candidates -- and ever more rhetoric from their respective parties and supportive political action committees -- I'm sick and tired of hearing about the proposals here in my home state of Michigan.

This year, we have six statewide ballot proposals:

  • Proposal 1: Referendum on the Emergency Manager Law
  • Proposal 2: The 'Collective Bargaining' Amendment
  • Proposal 3: '25 x 25' Renewable Energy Standard
  • Proposal 4: The Unionization of Home-Based Caregivers
  • Proposal 5: The Two-Thirds Majority Tax Limitation
  • Proposal 6: The International Bridge/Tunnel Voting Requirement


Looking at the list above, the proposals may seem harmless. But they're not. Props 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are amendments to Michigan Constitution.

WHY?  Because it's the only way the proponents have any chance of accomplishing their goal. Once there is a change to the State Constitution, there it would take another majority vote of the people to repeal the amendment.

Personally, I'm against that.  I'm also against the interests that are pumping millions of dollars into the campaigns to get these proposals passed.

My biggest annoyance, regarding these proposals, is Prop 6.  Canadian Manuel "Matty" Moroun, owner the Detroit's Ambassador Bridge, has dumped over $31 million dollars into getting this initiative passed. He has a direct financial interest in stopping the construction of any additional international crossings which would, logically, be built in southwest Michigan.

So here's what I propose: more informed voters making wise decisions.  I know it's a lofty goal, but I can always hope, can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment