Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tuesday Tally: Customer Service Expectations

Over the course of the past few months, I have encountered far too many service personnel who are providing not poor service but nearly unacceptable service.  Is this really what American businesses this will keep customers coming back?

So here's a partial list of my Customer Service Expectations:

Promptness: I do not want to spend my time waiting for service.  Restaurants can be the worst. Servers standing around talking to one another or worse, on their cell phone.  Sometimes they have double duty and they're up to their elbows in dishwater.  I get that. But they still have a responsibility to wait on me.

Courtesy: This should be a no-brainer for service people. A cheerful smile and warm greeting.  I'm not looking for someone to fall all over me, but I do expect to be a pleasantries.

Appropriate Answers: When I ask questions I expect answers. "I don't know," or "I'm not sure" are acceptable answers when they are accompanied with the phrase "but let me find out."

Apologies, not excuses: There are times when poor service is unavoidable.  I get that.  But when I voice my concerns, I don't really care why the service was poor.  Just apologize.  "I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations," goes a long way in ending customer frustration.

I could go on and on, but you get the point.  So many businesses, both large and small, could take lessons from Disney.  Their attention to detail and total focus on their "guests" makes for an exceptional experience time after time.

No comments:

Post a Comment