Thursday, October 4, 2012

Long Days, Short Nights

Yawn.

That's how I feel this morning.  Not really tired right now, but I'm pretty sure that will change later today.

We're working on a major project at my office.  The last couple of weeks has been pretty intense. Yesterday was a 14.5 hour day.

When I finally got home and dropped my butt into the Lazy Boy, I thought about the "good old days" when I worked at the newspaper.  Back then, 14.5 hour days was a walk in the park.  There were many nights spent putting special sections and festival editions of our local weekly newspaper to bed (so to speak).

Long days at the office give me, for some odd reason, a true sense of accomplishment.

Yesterday, my phone beeped a reminder alarm I have set for 4 pm on Wednesdays.  I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why it was beeping until I saw that reminder.  Where had the day gone?  The steady and sometimes very intense events of the day made time fly.

And so much accomplished.  It's a good feeling indeed.

Of course there's a downside to long days and short nights when you're 30-plus years beyond those "good old days."  This morning I feel lethargic and I woke up with a scratchy throat and stuffy head.

But, like those days at the newpaper, there's work to be done and you just forge ahead.

Soon enough, there will be some shorter days and longer nights. At least until the next major project in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment