Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Circus Peanuts

I've developed a strange affection for Circus Peanuts.  You know, those semi-peanutlike shaped, orange ++colored marshmallow candy that cannot be good for you.

Nothing you eat is good for you when the first two items on the ingredient list are sugar and corn syrup. But damn I like the taste of them.

Today's most popular variety is orange-colored with a banana flavor. However, they were originally distributed with an orange-flavoring.

They were also once only a seasonal item because of the difficulty in a seal package.  Circus Peanut get very hard when exposed to air.

Modern-day Circus Peanuts my be colored yellow, pink, and white, including a variety of flavors, though orange is still the most predominant color and banana the most common flavor, by far.

Circus Peanuts manufacturers include Melster Candies, Spangler Candy Company, and Brach's, all producing a nearly identical product.  Many of these candy companies produce the produce to be packaged under other labels, like the one I purchase at Dollar General.

Amazingly (to me) in 1963, General Mills vice president John Holahan inventively discovered that Circus Peanuts shavings yielded a tasty enhancement to his breakfast cereal. General Mills formalized the innovation and created Lucky Charms, the first breakfast cereal to contain marshmallow bits.

I won't be eating Circus Peanut for breakfast -- the sugary content tents me make me tired.  Instead, I'll just enjoy a couple now and then as a sweet treat that's not good for me.

Circus Peanuts and other nonsense are all at BareNakedBill.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment