Friday, June 8, 2012

R.I.P, BK

Have it your way.

We don't hear that slogan much any more.  It was a key component in the Burger King marketing plan.  An attack on the assembly line of McDonald's wrapped-and-waiting-for-you hamburger with ketchup, mustard, pickles and onions.

At Burger King, which is today is often called "B.K." you can get the standard burger, or with your choice of the many toppings they offer.

So what happened? B.K. restaurants are dropping like flies being sprayed with a can of Raid.

Again, what happened?

Could it be the filthy housekeeping of their buildings?  Could it the poor marketing campaigns promoting even poorer menu items that last innovation? Perhaps people just don't like flame-broiled burgers?

In my opinion, it's the crappy service from employees who just don't give a crap.

Three in the past month I have stopped at three different B.K. restaurants.  All visits were disasters.

Visit 1: I pulled into the drive-thru to order, and there I sat. And sat, and sat some more.  What the heck?  It was too early for them to be closed.  So I pulled ahead to the window and rapped on it.  Someone came and asked, "Can I help you?"

"Are you open. I was waiting back there to order."

"Yeah, our speaker isn't working.  What can I get you?"

"Oy vey!  Could you put a sign on the menu board," I thought to myself.

Visit 2: Returning from a transfer to Ann Arbor, myself and fellow EMS staff stopped to grab a bite.  We went inside to order.  It appeared that the manager was the ONLY person in the building with two people in line ahead of us. We ordered and soon someone came from the back to make our ordered.  More people arrive and order, but no food is coming out of the kitchen. Twenty minutes after our arrival, we were again on our way home.

So much for the idea of "Fast-Food."

Visit 3: Last night I order a Whopper Jr. and value-fries.  I told they were making my burger fresh, it would be a couple minutes, would I mind pulling ahead. So I did.

I was busy texting a friend, but then realized I had been sitting there a while. So I went inside.

The young woman at the counter asked, "May I help you?"

"Yeah, I'd like my order.  I've been sitting in the drive thru waiting for it."

"Oh, I bet this burger is yours.  Someone deleted the order off the screen."

Seriously?

"Would you like a free pop?"

"How about a free meal, including dessert."

"Sorry, I can't do that."

I took my food and left.  I doubt I'll go back to any B.K. again.  Unless I'm really really hungry.

A lack of management and training is why B.K. is on it's deathbed.

Rest In Peace, Burger King.

Much more blah blah blogging can be found at BareNakeBill.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment