Thursday, June 21, 2012

Summer Solstice

Today, June 21, 2012 is the first (full) day of summer.  This year, the summer solstice began yesterday at 7:09 P.M. (EDT). The actual timing of the solstice depends on when the Sun reaches its farthest point north of the equator.

Solstice is from the Latin solstitium, from sol (sun) and stitium (to stop), meaning when the Sun (appears to) stop at this time.

It happens again in December at the winter solstice.

We've been experiencing temperatures what a very summer-like for the last few day.  But these temps are actually unusual for this time of year, with averages in the mid- to high-70s.

This day is a day that I both love because it's the longest day of the year. I also dread this day because, it's the longest day of the year.  As each day passes we'll be losing a few moments of light.

But I can't control the Earth, sun or moon. And as much as I'd like to think all three revolve around me, they do not.

So instead of focusing on the days getting shorter, I'll enjoy the light we have on this first day of summer.

Pass the sunscreen please!

More burning questions answered at BareNakedBill.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment