Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tuesday Tally: Tips for Servers

I'm going to start by saying that waiting tables is NOT an easy job.  I understand that.

Being a good server (the politically correct term for a waitress), takes a little skill.  Being a GREAT server takes a LOT of skill.

A friend and I used to say we wanted to open a waitress school to teach people how we thought the job should be done.

With that in mind, here are few lessons I would teach:
  • Don't call me Hun.  I probably don't know you and if I do, I don't know you well enough for you to use a term of endearment like that.
  • Bring the menus with you.  Don't come to my table and ask if I need a menu.  I may not, but your employer would probably appreciate it if you promoted all the items you have to offer.
  • Know the menu.  If I ask questions, "I don't know" is not the answer I want to here.  I don't know either. Go ask someone if that what it takes.
  • Never assume that the cook won't prepare my meal different than normal. I was once in a nice restaurant and ordered the perch "pan-fried." The waitress told me it was served deep-fried. I asked if she could check with the cook.  She refused.  I ordered a dish of cole slaw.
  • Another assumption that shouldn't be made is that two people dining together are a couple. I was out with a friend for dinner when she ordered a bowl of soup.  The waitress turned to me, assuming I was her husband or boyfriend, and said, "She can order more than that, can't she?"  My reply: "Does she look like she needs more than that?"  I'm pretty sure the waitress slipped her the number for a safe house to escape her abusive relationship with me.
  • Don't make me ask twice for something I want or need.  I don't care if it's ketchup, more coffee, the side order you forgot... the tip I leave on the table depends on it.
  • Don't make me wait for my bill.  When I'm finished, I'm finished.  If you ask if I want anything else and I say no, that's the clue to bring the bill.  If I want to sit there any longer I will.
There's much more.  Maybe one day I will start that school.

No comments:

Post a Comment