Monday, June 18, 2012

Life from the back of a pickup

Living life out of the back of a pickup truck, even though it is just for the weekend, can be a pain in the butt.

My camping gear, shown in the photo below, is all neatly packed into appropriate tubs and totes. That's a part of the stressful craziness I create for myself. Every container has a purpose and is carefully loaded into the bed of the pickup in order they'll be needed.

The first tub inis a footlocker style container labeled Bedding & Linen.  It contains the AeroBed, sheets, blankets and pillows as well as towels for swimming and showering.

Next is another footlocker with my Coleman cook stove, pots and pans, utensils, dishpans and other cooking necessities.  Frankly, this tub is about to be left in the garage.  I prefer quick, simple meals, like sandwiches and chips.

On top of those two tubs goes my green-grass carpeting for in front of the tent.

Then I have tubs labeled:
  • Fire, with tiki torch fuel, propane tanks, a tent heater and fire starter blocks for the campfire.
  • Electrical, with extension cords and Christmas lights, for use if I have power.
  • Tools & Tarps. Sort of self explanatory.
  • Personal with my shower kit, first aid, suntan lotion, bug spray, a stocking hat and gloves (which I once used over the July 4 weekend) and other personal comfort items.  This tub acts as my nightstand too.
I load in the 10 x 10 popup awning, for in front of the tent and a cooler for food and beverages.

Setting up and tearing down camp has become a bit of a routine for me.  I have an order and, when I follow the plan, I can be set up/torn down in about 45 minutes.

Even with the routine of setting up, it can still be a pain in the butt.

But I still love it!

Blah blah Blogs at BareNakedBill.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment