Monday, June 11, 2012

It's not the heat....

Planter just south of 44 S. Main Street, Pigeon.
So what do you do when it's over 90 degrees and super humid? Plant flowers!

A few weeks ago this planter, located on Main Street in downtown Pigeon contained some overgrown shrubs and other crap.  I asked the DPW crew to rip them out and add some top soil, which they did.

I had hoped to get flowers in there before Memorial Day, but time and energy were limited.  Sunday, in all this heat, I had the time and, surprisingly, I had the energy.

So, a couple hours and a mild sunburn later, all the flowers were in the ground.

I chose yellow Day Lily with some Japanese Red Grass in between.  These are perennials and will fill in over the next few years. I discovered that perennials "Sleep, Creep, then Leap," during the first three years after planting. (Mental note to self: blog about the planter's progress in June, 2015.)

Along with the perennials, I added in some two-year old geraniums that spent last summer in front of the office where I work.  They wintered in the storefront next door to the planter, under the care of my friend Wanda Eichler.

Along with the geraniums are your typical purple petunias with a few Kiss Orange Flame Gazanias.

Hopefully they'll all fill out by mid-July and our local Farmers' Festival.

More ramblings can be found at BareNakedBill.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment