Monday, August 13, 2012

Plans gone awry

If you know me at all, you know that I tend to have a plan.  I often have plans scheduled weeks, sometimes, months ahead. My type A, take charge personality allows me to function better when I have a plan.

When the plans starts to fall apart, I get mental.  When the plans are totally in the toilet, sometimes my worlds feels like it's falling apart.

That Type A personality I mention takes over and gets me through, but my head is usually spinning as I shoot from the hip.

This past weekend's plans started to unravel by Thursday, when the previously forecast rains began. I checked the forecast for Canadian community where I camp. It looked like storms and rain for most of the time I had planned to camp would put an end to those plans.

I'm a fair weather tent camper.

Which all worked in my favor as my friend Andrew wanted to hang out, so he made his way to my home on Friday evening. We planned to journey to Detroit on Saturday morning for some fun in the D.

Those dang storms managed to knock out the power in most of Pigeon around 12:30 am Saturday morning.

I checked the basement around 6:30 am.  Sump hole was pretty full, but not overflowing.  But it was still raining.  DTE Energy said, in a recorded message, that the power should be on between 4:30 to 6:30 am.

So much for DTE's plans to restore power.  I needed to round up a generator if the power wasn't back on soon.

A few quick text messages to a coworker and the generator was secured.  Grab some breakfast at the restaurant while my house guest was still sleeping, then grab the generator.

While I was picking up the generator, my brother called and said my nephew's basement was flooding. The battery backup, which is what you plan on supplying power to the pump when the electricity going out, was dead.

Since he had much more to lose in his basement (carpeted with furniture), I took the generator there first.

The next few hours were spent shuttling the generator between houses long enough to run the sumps.

Power was finally restored around 11:30 am, and the clean up began.

Thankfully I simply needed to place some fans to help dry things out.

By now my sleepyhead houseguest was awake but perfectly willing to kick back while I grabbed a short nap.  (I deserved it!)

Finally, about 4 pm we headed to Detroit.  Much later than our planned departure.

Of course our plans for shopping were detoured by businesses being closed by the time of our arrival.

As much as we plan things, we still need to shoot from the hip now and then.

That's exactly what I did this weekend... And I survived!

Many unplanned blogs posts at BareNakedBill.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment