Sunday, September 23, 2012

JACKPOT!

Yesterday, as I checked out at the local convenience store, the clerk asked if I wanted an instant lottery ticket. Asking the question is part of a Michigan Lottery sales campaign.  I paused, looked up at the $174 million Powerball Jackpot and said, "no, they're a waste of money. I should just get a Powerball ticket."

Really, all lottery tickets are a waste of money.

Recently a man purchased the lone winning Powerball ticket at a convenience store in Lapeer, Michigan, about an hour away from my hometown.  That ticket was worth $337 million paid out over 20 years.  He opted for the $224.6 million lump sum payout.

When 44-year-old Donald Lawson met the public to claim his winnings, he was asked how he planned to spend it.

What would you do if you won a big jackpot? That's a pretty easy question for me.

Sure, I'd spend money on some cars -- I think I need a collection of Ford Mustangs. I'd like to travel extensively. I might even have some homes or condos in cities I want to enjoy on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure I would hire a fitness coach and maybe a housekeeper/cook to keep me fit and healthier.

But first and foremost, I would take care of my family and some close friends. Money to pay off debts and get ahead of the game.  Money for their children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren (and beyond) for educational purposes.

I would invest in my community by funding the arts and improving parks and recreation. I might open some businesses to create jobs -- but that seems like a hassle that would tie me down.

A foundation would be created for providing grants to groups and organizations that improve the quality of life in their communities.

That's about as far as my dreams go.  I don't think I've come close to spending the $224.6 million Mr. Lawson won.

I doubt this dream will come true, but it never hurts to plan ahead.

BareNakedBill.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment