Friday, September 28, 2012

No Argument From Me

I try not to argue with people.  Frankly, it's generally not worth the time.  Especially when they're wrong and I'm right.

Recently I was pulled into a discussion that turned into an argument.

It started when someone mentioned they played tennis in high school and their coach was named "Jody Smith."

I said, "His name is 'Joel.'"

We were off and running.  According to the three people who were part of the discussion, "Jody and Joel" are brothers.

"Really?"  I asked.  "Where does 'Jeff' come into the picture?"

There was a pause and the three geniuses agreed that the brothers were named "Jody and Jeff."

Mmmmm.  I tried to tell them that "Jeff and Joel" are bothers, but they scoffed at me. At least until I slapped my palm on the table and yelled "LISTEN!"

See, Jody is Joel.  Jody is a nickname given to him by his grandmother who wanted a granddaughter.  The nickname stuck with him until he was in his late 20s and came to work in the same office as I.

We started calling him Joel because that was his preference.

It was great to see the blank looks on their faces when I gave them that explanation.

Don't argue with me -- especially when I'm right!

No comments:

Post a Comment