Thursday, March 8, 2012

230 lb. Invisible Man

I've come to the conclusion that I'm a 230 lb. Invisible Man.  Which, to me, seems to be quite a feat.

Over the course of the past three or four months, I've been repeatedly amazed at how many retail workers have ignored me while I've been shopping in their establishments.  I don't mean an "oh, I'm sorry, is someone waiting on you?" pass over... I'm talking an all out "If I don't make eye contact you don't exist and I won't have to wait on you!" total blowoff.

One example is a three separate visits to a long-established shop known where some Brothers, who think they're Saints, sell Nuts and chocolates.  They call their shop a House! (Get the picture?).  So I go into this shop and the young clerks are standing behind the counter chatting with each other, tirelessly working at avoiding eye contact as I walk by.

I make my way to the bulk chocolates - which they need to weigh for me - and wait.  Hmmm.  La la la. Dee dee dee.  I keep looking their way, but the three of them keep up the conversation.  I'm sure they were talking about saving the fat guy's life by not selling him those fattening chocolate cover peanut clusters!

Then my internal countdown clock kicks in: ten, nine, eight (wait on me!), seven, six, five (are you serious?), four, three, two, one, DING! I'm out the door.

And no, I didn't get a "have a nice day," as I was leaving either.

Maybe that's why I enjoy going into my local Subway shop.  No matter how many people are in line, one of the sandwich makers (do they have a special name?) will always say, "Welcome to Subway! We'll right with you."

I don't feel like a 230 lb. invisible man there.

No comments:

Post a Comment