Monday, March 19, 2012

Team Esch

TEAM ESCH: Matthew, Lisa, Cindy and Jeremy.
Wow!  We're had some great warmer-than-normal weather here in Michigan, with temps pushing into (and past) the high-70s.

Yesterday was a perfect day for the St. Patrick's Day parade in Bay City (Michigan). I've seen this parade step off with snow coming down.  Or worse, snow with freezing rain, and other nasty winter weather.

Before the big parade, the Bay City Runner's Club sponsors a 5K Run/Walk.  This year, Team Esch, consisting of Matthew, Lisa, Cindy and Jeremy, participated.  I was poised to join them, but didn't have cash for the $25 registration fee.

I guess I'm the only person on the planet who uses a card for the majority of monetary transactions. I guess I should try to get into the habit of carrying cash again.  But it seems to disappear without knowledge of where the evaporation occurred.

Anyway, when they said I needed cash, I said, "screw it" (well what I said means screw it) and joined Team Esch in the waiting area.  I don't think my back would have held out anyway.

We discussed how long it should take and Jeremy had some handicapping formula he was going to use to level the playing field between he and his younger brother. It had something to do with him being three-and-a-half years older than Matthew, so thought he would get three-and-a-half minutes per mile run.

Okay... 3.1 miles in 5K, times 3.5 minutes per mile... carry the one, divide by...  Does anyway have a calculator?

I don't know.  I think if Jeremy finished 10 minutes or less than Matthew, they'd be pretty even. And if he beat his younger brother, I would have bought him dinner at Lucky's Steakhouse.  (I should have offered that bet!)

As I said, it was a great day for a race. The temperature at race time was just below 70.

Are you curious about the guy's results?  Hmmm. Seems like a good blog topic for another day.  LOL

No, I won't do that.

Matthew ran the 3.1 miles in 28 minutes (9.03 minute mile); while Jeremy ran it in 34 minutes (10.96 minute mile).  Awesome times for guys who do not run on a regular basis.

I'm in on the next 5K!

For reader who don't know my family, Matthew and Jeremy are my nephews. Lisa and Cindy are their wives & my nieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment