|BIKER BILL - Total geek with the helmet.|
Okay, it's not a Harley... I love riding my bicycle.
There's just something about hopping on and going for a spin, especially when the sky is clear, the sun is warm and the breeze is refreshing.
I have a couple friends who refuse to ride bike with me because I wear a helmet when I ride.
Apparently they've never seen someone with a closed head injury.
So why do I wear a helmet? Why should YOU?
Here's a summary of US statistics available from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Traffic Safety Facts - 2009 Data (the most recent I could find.)
- 630 bicyclists died on US roads in 2009 (718 in 2008, 1,003 in 1975)
- 74 were 14 or younger, a reduction of 58 per cent from the 178 killed in 2000.
- Bicyclist deaths represented 2 per cent of all 2009 traffic fatalities.51,000 bicyclists were injured in traffic in 2009 (Up sharply from 43,000 in 2007)
- One-seventh of the cyclists killed were between 5 and 15 years old.
- Average age of a bicyclist killed on US roads: 41Average age of a bicyclist injured on US roads: 31
- Fatal crashes typically were urban (69%) and not at intersections (64%).
So, if you're embarrassed to ride your bike with me wearing a helmet -- GET OVER IT!