Saturday, March 3, 2012

Don't worry... BE HAPPY!

Why are are most people never happy with their looks and have this crazy need to either disguise or drastically change their appearance?

Now before I get up on my soapbox, I'll offer this disclaimer: I had gastric-bypass surgery nearly nine years ago.  Yes, it changed my looks -- and my life.  However, I had the surgery more so for health reasons than to change my appearance.  I have an extensive family history of heart disease and diabetes. In addition, I was suffering with joint and back problems as well as other physical ailments. I knew I had to do something when, as an paramedic, I was responding to an auto accident and I had trouble kneeling down next to a patient lying on the road.

And yes, my weight also caused emotional distress.

Which brings me back to my original question:  Why are are most people never happy with their looks and have this crazy need to either disguise or drastically change their appearance?

The answer? Probably the bombardment of messages we get from family and friends and total strangers. Movies and TV shows are loaded with negative references to self-image as well as "look-at-me-I-am-perfect-so-be-like-me" images as well. Mass marketing and general media shape our self-opinion and esteem.

Male anorexia (starvation) is becoming as common in boys and young men as it has been for the female population.  People are literally dying to look good.

But the problem isn't just about weight.

People are the butt of many jokes if they have a big nose, ears that stick out a little more than others, cleft lip, protruding "buck" teeth, amblyopia (that's a lazy eye)... the list goes on and on.

Really, it's no wonder we can't be happy with ourselves.

Thankfully I learned a long time ago, I don't give a sh!t what anyone thinks of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment