Monday, March 5, 2012

The Price of Health

Sticker shock is something you get when you think you know the price of a item and it turns out to be much more.  Maybe it's more about what you're willing to play versus the selling price.

I'm fortunate -- and spoiled -- by the healthcare coverage I have at work. For the most part, I don't have to worry about the price tag on being well.

From time to time, in an effort to reduce the nearly annual 30% increase in insurance premiums, the company modifies the plan without reducing the coverage. It's little things like self-insuring co-pays.

During our annual benefit meeting last fall, we were told about our Healthcare Savings Account.  This is an actual savings account at the bank with funds for our healthcare.

I think HSA is also part of Obamacare.

We were also informed to expect sticker shock when it comes to our prescription medications. Beginning January 1, we began playing 100% of the medication cost, until our deductible is reached.

Okay, doesn't sound so bad, right?

Now I'm not one to take a lot of meds. An occasional antibiotic or anti-inflammatory, something for my "getting older" aches and pains. Nothing on a regular basis.

Sticker shock doesn't begin to describe my reaction to the cost of a prescription reorder I considered making last week.  What used to cost me $120 for a three month supply will now be $738!

Thankfully it's ordered "PRN."  That stands for pro re nata, meaning take as needed. I don't need it often.

Regardless of how often I take it, it's a ridiculous price and I'll be checking with my doctor to see if there's something else I can take.

I don't know how people who are not covered by insurance could pay those prices for life-saving medication.

For me, it's been a valuable lesson in the price of health. 


No comments:

Post a Comment