Sunday, May 13, 2012

Motherless Day

Yellow Roses -- My mom's favorite.
Mother's Day is our annual celebration honoring mothers and the motherly bond shared by many.  It's a day when many of us buy cards, candy and flowers for mom.  Perhaps we get her out of the kitchen and take her out for a nice dinner with the family.

It's her day! Celebrate!

For people like me, it's Motherless Day. My mom died going on seven years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wallow in sadness and sorrow over my mother's departure.  But today is a total in-your-face reminder that she isn't here. And it makes me reflect on the coulda/shoulda days when she was here with us -- thinking of things I could have done or should have said.

But then I have to set that aside, or I'll get caught up in the wallowing.  My mom would not approve of unhappiness for her family.

Instead I'll reflect on the good times and happy memories of not just Mother's Days past, but every day holds a special memory.

People will tell you there is always someone worse off than yourself.

That's so true.

There are so many, younger than me, who have lost their mother at a tender age when they needed her most.  Worse yet are those who have a riff with their mom and they don't speak... "She's dead to me," is a saying from the old country.

What about those woman who long to be a mother, but are unable to bear a child?

And the grief and agony of a mother who has lost a child... unimaginable to anyone who hasn't shared that sorrow.

So while Mother's Day is a day filled with reminders of what I lost, I'm thankful that I was blessed with the mother I had.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms and motherly people in my life.

Catch all the blog entries at BareNakedBill.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment