Friday, July 20, 2012

24 is not enough

I have an unscientific theory, more commonly known as a hunch, that somehow the earth has started turning faster on its axis.  The result of this unnatural event is that an hour isn't an hour.  If my theory is correct, that would explain why there are not enough hours in the day.

Sounds logical, right?

I mean I get at nearly the same time each day and run my daily routine before I head off to work.  I'm in work mode for nine, sometimes ten hours. When I leave the office, it seems like my day is just beginning.

Meetings or social events, ambulance call and household chores, the list doesn't seem to end.

Part of the problem is that I can't seem to say no.  Volunteerism is a big part of my world, and from time to time I have to reevaluate what's going on because I'm just not doing a good job with anything.

A huge portion of my time is taken up by what is technically a second job: ambulance call.

My normal on-call times during a typical month go something like this:
  • One week of first call: 6 pm Friday to 6 am Monday, and 6 pm to 6 am Monday thru Thursday;
  • One weekend of second call: 6 pm Friday to 6 am Monday;
  • One weeknight of second call (when I'm not on first): Every Wednesday, 6 pm to 6 am.
I'll do that math for you, that's 204 hours a month... 51 average hours per week.

And, when those 204 hours are sped up, as in my theory, you're totally screwed.

I'm sure you'll agree, there are just not enough hours in a day.

I find time to write my blog, there is proof at barenakedbill.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment