Friday, July 6, 2012

Water Fun

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature.  It is earth's eye; looking into which the beholder
measures the depth of his own nature. 
~Henry David Thoreau

July fourth was a beautiful, hot summer day here in Michigan’s Thumb.  I’m told it was a perfect day to ride the jet skis.

As I mentioned yesterday, I’d been invited to experience the fun on the water, but never really grasped the opportunity.

I’m overly-cautious around bodies of water – pools, rivers and lakes.  Some of it has to do with my mother’s fear of the water as well as once watching a cousin holding his bother under the water until he nearly drown.

Regardless, when James told me that he took a 91-year-old woman out and she drove the jet ski herself, I had to go.

We launched from the Caseville Municipal Harbor.  I had to idle in the harbor while James parked the van and trailer and joined me before we headed out into the open water.  The ride along the breakwall is a no-wake zone, with calm waters.  This was gonna be fun.

Or so I thought.

Two minutes into this little adventure I managed to get swamped by a wave and thought it was over for good.  James assured me that if I got the machine up to at least 18 mph, I’d have a better ride and stay above the water’s surface.

Off we went. About seven miles of me getting used to the wave and feel of the machine.   I was beginning to enjoy the trip.

Near the end of Sand Point, I stopped and checked out some of the large homes along the north shore.  That’s prime real estate and you don’t get a look at this side very often.

We decided to head back toward the swimming beach, but not before James made a confession: “We’ve been riding with the waves. The ride back is going to be a little rougher.”

My options were to beach the machine on the North Shore and walk back to Caseville, or tough it out.

I wasn’t going to bail at this point.

The ride back was much more intense, but I had gotten the hang of keeping the throttle up and staying above the water.

A couple of times I know I was airborne and slammed down on the water’s surface.  I felt my spine crack like I was getting an adjustment from the chiropractor.  At one point, I was getting so much water in my face I had to stop.

James came to check on me.  I told him I felt like I was being water-boarded like a detainee at Guantanamo. Sadly, I’d give up State-secrets in 2 seconds!

Finally we made it to the much calmer waters west of the beach area. James went racing past me and I pressed the throttle down, reaching speeds around 55 mph!

I was getting hooked on this jet ski thing.  I even did a few tight circles.

We had frolicked long enough, called it an afternoon and headed in. I was shocking to learn we had been on the water for about 2.5 hours.

While I will always be cautious of the water, I know that I love the fun that can be had on it.

I’m looking forward to my next journey on the “sea.”

 
More adventures can be found at BareNakedBill.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment