Thursday, July 26, 2012

It's killing me

Digital technology is killing me. Text messaging, email, instant messaging and all the other non-interpersonal communication methodology are killing me.

I can’t begin to count the number of times I’ve been in a “conversation” (if you can call it that) that has included phrases like “are you mad at me?” or other assumptions of my current emotional status.

Seriously?

I require voice inflection, facial expression and other body language to determine someone’s demeanor.  Words on the screen are just that… words on the screen.

We’ve become so disconnected from each other that we think we can understand each other’s emotions from electronic blips.

You would know how truly upset I am when you see my red face, pursed lips and arms crossed in from of me.  You would know the deep sadness I’m feeling when you hear my voice crack, my lips tremble and see the tears in my eyes.  You would better understand my explanation if there wasn’t minutes between each piece of the messages we’re exchanging.

Yes, digital technology is killing me.

I’ve been looking at apps that auto-reply to text messages.  So don’t be surprised when you get a reply that says:  “You’re digital voice cannot be heard, please CALL me on the phone. Or better yet, come visit me in person.”

Yeah, the blog is digital communication too: BareNakedBill.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment