Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I'm Lost

You would think that taking a road trip while manned with a GPS would mean never being lost.

Think again.

Yesterday afternoon I got the bright idea to escape the heat of camp and grab some dinner in Niagara Falls, Ontario.  It should have been a nice hour-and-a-half drive.

The hour-and-a-half was correct.  Nice? Debatable.

I forgot that Canada lacks decent roads in many places.  I've driven on cow paths that were smoother than some of the county roads my TomTom GPS lead me down.

But I did make it to Niagara Falls.  So did about 37 trillion other people.

A 30 minute drive looking for parking near the falls took me to the entrance of a N.F. Parking Lot, staring at a sign that read, "$20.00."

I'm too damn cheap to spend that kind of cash for a 15 walk to see the falls.  Especially when I kept thinking, "Been here, done this."

And then I was lost.

The GPS must have thought the campground moved into the States, cause it wanted me to cross the border. I did not want to explain that issue to customs.

I stopped at an Ontario Welcome Center for a map.  The helpful young woman there helped me plot my route back.  It mimicked my route TO the falls.  (Sigh)

If I don't return home you'll know why.  For now, I think I'll stay lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment