Monday, July 30, 2012

Habit Forming

Repeating an event on a regular basis is said to form a habit. Reminding kids to brush their teeth after a meal, reading the Bible everyday or going for a walk.  If you just force yourself to do it everyday, for as few a 10 or 15 days, it should become a habit.

If that's the case, then why, after six months of writing this blog, having I formed a true habit of writing it?

Oh, I remember it, often just as I'm getting ready for bed.  Maybe that's the habit -- last minute journalism.

I sometimes write when I'm fresh, first thing in the morning.  I think my fingers work better then and I know my brain does too.

Some habits are hard to break.  Smoking, overeating, nail-biting. Breaking the "hanging-by-a-thread habit of writing this blog would take about 2.3 milliseconds.

That's not to say I don't enjoy writing it.  I actually do enjoy it.  I think it's the DAILY part that kicks my butt.  But if I stopped posting daily, I know I would quickly lapse into a weekly then maybe monthly event.

It's all good.  Habit forming is work, to create a habit or break habit.

Thankfully the lack of a solid writing habit was fodder for another blog post.

Caution: Reading BareNakedBill.blogspot.com could be habit forming!

No comments:

Post a Comment