Monday, July 9, 2012

Useless Mail

I'm really bad at walking to the mailbox and collecting the day's delivery on a regular basis. Honestly, I'm such an electronic guy with the majority of my bills coming to me via email.

Over the last few weeks I've been collecting a pile of "crap" that is really unnecessary, including:
  • far too many credit card applications.  I have a couple credit cards, which I may off monthly.  I don't need to have more cards to lower my credit score.  It would be great to have a website where I can tell the banks to save a few million trees and stop the nonsense.
  • a half-dozen coupon cards from Kohls.  I love Kohls.  I shop at Kohls.  The coupons have usually expired by the time I get into Kohls.  More junk!
  • Vacation information.  I love vacation ideas, but the companies need to review their demographic information attached to the addresses where they send their materials.  Trying to sell me vacations destinations that "the kids will love" is a way out of the ball park. Unless someone comes forward and starts calling me daddy, I'm not really interested.
  • unsolicited magazines. I guess AARP and AAA membership include member-magazines. I also get something from Good Sam that is somehow related to camping. I rarely read them and wish I could cut them off.
  • information from my insurance company. I get something from them at least once a week.  Change in this, variance in that. Upgrade here, save there.  Sheesh.  And the envelopes have page after page that needs to be read.  I was looking at some of the info and found out I have coverage the will, along with other perks, pay to replace lost prescription glasses while I'm vacationing.
I generally tear open the envelope and give the contents a quick scan before it hits the trash.  It would be great to not be filling up landfills with this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment