Monday, July 2, 2012

Camping from the Car

I think I've mentioned that I have a bit of a ritual when it comes to packing for a camping trip.

The tubs and other container are labeled and loaded in the order they're needed as I set up camp.  Everything has a place and a purpose.

Two weeks ago, when I was camping, I looked at several of the tubs and asked myself, "Why did I bring that?" Those questionable tubs included my camp kitchen with pots and pans, stove and utensils.

I didn't cook a thing, instead opting to grab breakfast at a nice little restaurant on the beach and eating boloney and crackers for lunch.  After all, I'm not going to starve.

The last trip also cost me well over $100 in fuel for my F150 pickup. At 14 mpg, and nearly 500 miles round trip, it takes a bite out of the wallet.

I got the bright idea that I could probably make the trip in my Ford Fusion.  I'm consistently getting 30 mpg, so I can cut my fuel cost in half.

So Saturday night, after my great-nephew Nathan's graduation party, I started loading my car to see if the necessary items would fit.  If not, I could load the truck in about 15 minutes.

I was surprised that everything fit! I do have a tub sitting next to me on the passenger seat, but otherwise, it's all there.

When I arrived Sunday evening, I started setting up camp and quickly realized that I didn't have any chairs to park my carcass in. And, since I left he camp kitchen at home, I don't have any utensils, plates or cups.

No matter, I'll pick up some stuff at the store.

That proved to be a challenge as well.  The "SuperStore" had a knife, but no chair worth buying.  My other option was Walmart.  They didn't have anything either, which I'm sure makes my dad happy. He hates Walmart.

I thought I could stop by Canadian Tire, which is much more of a super hardware store than a tire shop.  They're closed on Sunday, AND, since July 1 -- Canada Day -- fell on Sunday, most of the stores, including Canadian Tire will be closed today.

I can't win.

Camping from the car saves me money on gas, but has added to the aggravation.

I guess this is what they call "roughing it."

No comments:

Post a Comment